Sunday, December 6, 2009

Remember Lot's Wife

My days are becoming so long. My friends are falling away and my bubble is ever so distorted. I am happy but behind every smile is throbbing pain. I feel so broken. My quest to make new friends isn’t going very well. I have found myself thinking back on how my life use to be. Is there really much of a difference between then and now? I believe there is a huge difference, but I don’t see much of a difference in myself. I am still me. I am the same person I was before. And I don’t know if this should scare me or not. The last couple of weeks I’ve been thinking quite a bit about Luke 17:32 “Remember Lot’s wife” The Lord told Lot and his family to "Escape for thy life," -- "look not behind thee... ;escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed" (Genesis 19:17). We all know what happened. She looked back. Now I ask myself the questions.. Where are the desires of my heart? Do I have faith in the future? Do I have faith in Christ? Her attachment to the past outweighed her confidence in the future. God doesn't care nearly as much about where I have been as He does about where I am, and with His help, where I am willing to go. Faith is always pointed toward the future. I know this to be true! ..but do I really know it? My nightmares have returned. Night after night I’m being awoken every few hours to a new nightmare.. always the same people and always the same feelings. I know what I must do but how do I go about putting my past behind me. How do I grasp onto the Atonement and look forward with a steadfastness in Christ? My heart is so full of gratitude and love toward my Savior and Brother. I know I can do this with His help.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my dear Ember--please know that I am always here for you and that I love you so so much. You are such an amazing friend and such an amazing person. You truely are a beautiful person inside and out. You are such an inspiration to me and I always learn when I'm with you! I Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ember! You're awesome! If you ever need anything, and I mean anything, you know where to find me. I'm only a phone call or text away. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so this is a long comment. Oh Ember, fear not, You are still incredible! You have only become more deep and complex as I have known you, and that is nothing to fear. You are a person with understanding. With a story. No stranger to nightmares or haunting memories can find anything quite as sweet or any joy as fulfilling in contrast. The joys you shall have and comforts you can feel because of what you are, Who you are, are so great. You are a daughter of God. The most admirable and crowning of beings on this Earth. I am delighted to know you let alone be allowed to read what you think. I know the Lord is proud of what you are and what you have become. I can feel it every time I talk to you. You will not lose all of your friends. We do not all fall away. We love you.

    John 14:27. Alma 17:10. 2 Nephi 10:23. 1 John 4:7 (Don't take that one wrong ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! all three of you! You all put a smile on my face.
    Stephanie! I absolutely love you! You have really been a true friend to me since the first day I met you.
    Cory, you really need to start a blog! Your words are so beautiful!
    Katie?.. you have always been in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete