Monday, April 23, 2012

The Saturday before Dead Week

          I’ve just had one of the best days!  I needed a break from all of the papers and studying so Matt and I planned a day away from Logan. We woke up early and started our day down in Salt Lake at the new City Creek Mall. Can I just say WOW! I have never been somewhere so? so? not Utah before. I don’t know how else to describe it. When I first heard that City Creek was an outside mall my expectations immediately went down. I have never been a big fan of outside malls but when we got there I was amazed by the parking lot alone and when we started walking around, I was in awe the entire time. A lot of the stores were high end stores but Matt and I have always been a huge fan of window shopping. I sorta felt bad because by the end we had spent quite a bit of time in jewelry stores and honestly, what guy wants to spend his time looking at jewelry. Really? But Matt, of course, was such a sweetheart about it. He knows that I am a tad be partial to sparkly things. AND! The best part was that we ran into my cousin Wendy and her family while we were browsing through one of the jewelry stores! It was like gah!!! I love Wendy to death! And she has the cutest two little boys in the whole world! It has been so long since I had seen Wendy and it was so nice to see that she was happy and loving life. I really enjoyed myself while we were there and I definitely have plans to go back many many times in the future.. even if it is just to window shop.
          After City Creek, Matt and I drove down to meet up with his family down in Lehi for lunch at Outback Steak House I believe? ..don’t quote me on that. I had a good time and the food was delicious. Matt’s sister Mashell and his dad had just finished up with a yard sale that Mashell was putting on to help her raise money for her Outreach volunteer trip to India this summer. I am secretly really jealous and excited for her at the same time. I believe she earned close to $800! Isn’t that just awesome! I hope her next yard sale turns out to be just as successful as this last one.
          After lunch Matt and I drove back up to West Jordan for Matt’s yoyo club. His yoyo club consists of a bunch of guys getting together to yoyo while discussing the yoyo community and all the new yoyos coming out. They admire and try out each other’s yoyos and will even make trades from time to time. Most importantly they take time to learn new tricks. Even though I spent the majority of the time watching and playing a lot of Tetris, I am still so very amazed at the talent of all of these guys. It takes a lot of time and patience to learn how to yoyo but something that Matt tells  to almost everyone who stops to admire his yo-yoing is that anyone can yoyo!!
          After yoyo club we drove to Sandy and spent an hour at Barnes & Noble before heading to Matt’s mission reunion. Matt served in the Kingston Jamaica Mission. This was the second time I have attended this mission reunion with Matt and I have to be honest with you, and I think most wives/girlfriends can relate; Mission reunions are for the guys. They’re all about old friends, old memories, and a ton of catching up.  As I looked around the room the women just sat around while their guys socialized. Don’t get me wrong! I do not regret going and I had a lot of fun. Just watching Matt light up around his old mission friends was a sight to see. I love seeing Matt so happy and at peace. His old mission president and his wife spoke to us and you could just feel the love within the room. There is honestly no way to describe it. I am looking forward to more mission reunions in the future. And I hope to eventually even make a trip to Jamaica with Matt someday.
          We finished up at the reunion at about 8:30 and we drove up the Ogden area and caught a showing of the Hunger Games at 9:30ish. Now, I absolutely love the Hunger Games books!! This was our second time going to watch the first movie in theaters and I secretly want to go again.. but don’t tell Matt lol. Though, I am sad to report that I was falling asleep during the movie. It’s not that I don’t love the show, I just really had been worn out by everything we had squeezed into that one day on top of feeling slightly under the weather the entire day due to my monthly I don’t want to talk about it stuff.
          But gosh! Was it a good day! We got back to Logan at about 1:00 in the morning and I was out the moment I hit my own bed. It was definitely the break I needed to prepare myself for my upcoming finals. Yucky. I just need to keep telling myself “only 2 more weeks!!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment