Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sigma Phi Epsilon

So I don’t think I’ve mentioned yet that my Matthew is a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon or SigEp for short. Yes yes, my Matthew is a frat boy and I love it! I attended a banquet with him yesterday. A very important banquet at that! The banquet was set up for SigEp to received their charter. I don’t know much about it but from what I understand and what Matt has told me this Charter makes them an official Chapter here at Utah State. It has taken them a good 7 years to become an official Chapter! 7 years! 7 years of hard work! Its pretty amazing! Matt’s name is even on the Charter.. isn’t that so cool?!! The banquet itself was so incredible! There was a lot of speaking on their theme “Bringing up Balanced Men and Leaders” or something like that. The man that came out from Maine to present them with their Charter was so impressed with their specific Chapter. One thing he said that really stuck out to me was (and I don’t remember his exact words) was something along the lines of how he had never presented a Charter to a Chapter as ready as they were. He had presented Charters to Chapters all over the country for years, I am sure and SigEp, here at Utah State, just blew him away. According to him they were more than ready for this Charter and not only had they reached the top but they were reaching for something much more. This is when he brought in the gospel. After he told them it looked like they were reaching for something much much more his words were “and I think it has something to do with this religion of yours.” It amazes me that after only being in Utah for a few hours he was able to make the comparisons between the Fraternity and the Latter Day Saints. I could tell that he knew almost nothing about the church but he, without knowing it, starting talking about the importance of family and brotherhood and was able to make that comparison and realize that it must be a result of the standards of our religion that this specific Chapter was so far beyond what was expected of them. Anyway, I had such a great time! The food was really good and I loved just being there with Matt. I can see how important SigEp is to him and how it really does bring out the best in Matt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment