Thursday, April 8, 2010

Electronic Communication

I refuse to have important conversations over messenger!! Refuse! (Sorry.. im going to rant for a few minutes) I personally really like instant messenger. Its very handy to have and some very heart felt words have been and can be exchanged through messenger. Words can be so very very powerful!! Our Holy Bible and Book of Mormon are full of words that have changed the course of history for all mankind. But those are diaries, and the Spirit is the one who communicates to us when we read those words. Messenger tho, in my own opinion, is a horrible form of communication. Especially when trying to discuss matters of importance. There are real people out there! Real people! With real feelings! They laugh.. they smile.. they cry. Nothing can be more joyful than laughing along side a best friend.. or crying on a shoulder you care about. I'm going to go back a few months, to last October. I haven't really talked much about what happened on October 25th. That day holds a lot of my sorrows. The scars are still there. Oh what I would do to forget that day. But it is so very important for me to remember! I called on a friend and he came to me. When I thought all was lost.. he came to me and he brought with him what I needed most, the spirit. I'll never forget the feeling that came over me when Tyler Tolley walked into the room and sat beside me on the floor. I have cried over many things in my life.. things that matter and things that don't. Being misunderstood is a big one, but at that moment, I was understood. Not by Tyler.. but by my Savior. Peace flowed through me. And even tho I knew rough weeks and months were going to follow, I knew somehow I would find the strength. Its times like those that can change a person. Those person to person experiences. And as Charles Dickens stated "Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true." Instant Messenger has been a curse for me since forever it feels like. The only people I feel comfortable talking with over messenger are those people who spend the majority of their time rejoicing in my accomplishments. Those people who know me inside and out. Those friends like Mark Bailey who have spent hours and hours just talking with me in person. Or Hyrum who has witnessed my change from October till now with his own eyes.. His words being "Its like night and day" I admit, I myself am guilty of starting conversations over messenger which I should have kept to myself or saved for a more appropriate time and place. I just don't understand how someone can claim to know another individual and know whats best for them when their main form of communication is through a virtual world. Two souls can not connect through a computer or even a phone.

1 comment:

  1. Ember, you are soo right. and to tell you the truth now that you said that I knew it was right but didn't really let myself believe it. lately I have been trying to go on more dates. and spending time with more people. it is hard but I am getting a little better at it.

    ReplyDelete