Monday, October 3, 2011

Genernal Conference

Matt and I got last minute tickets to go to the Saturday afternoon session of conference down at the Conference Center. Yeah, I was pretty excited but it really was a pain getting off work at Hallmark. I was able to figure things out but after everything was said and done one of the girls who was suppose to come in early for me didn't end up coming in early. Matt and I were left pressing for time. I was really stressed out.. not only do I not like to be pressed for time but I also had to deal with the traffic in Salt Lake and after driving around for a good 20 minutes looking for parking I was about to have panic attack and just give up. If it weren't for Matt to my right telling me to relax and that everything will be alright.. oh gosh, i don't know what I would have done. Well, we got there in the nick of time. We walked into the Conference Center just as they were saying the prayer.

The talks were awesome of course. I loved Elder Carl B Cook's talk! It truly wasn't something I haven't heard before but I just loved how simple it was. Sometimes I feel like my life just starts filling up. I stress about one thing or another and worry just takes over me. I ask myself constantly... How can I possibly do this? Where is my strength to change? And as Cook said, I feel so burdened and my head is down. I try so hard to berry myself in all my day to day stuff and before I know it there is the stress, there is the worry, and in the back of my mind are those questions. I tell myself, tomorrow.. I'll think about it tomorrow. Really. Why is it so hard to Look Up when we need help? Elder Cook's words were..

Remember Him and trust in the atonement.
Look to Christ and watch our burdens float away.
We must Look Up and Step Up. If we do we will Cheer Up.
The Lord wants us to be happy.

Simple right? It really was exactly what I needed to hear. At the end of his talk I heard Matt's words in my head from when we were back in my car looking for parking on the crowded street "Relax. Everything will be alright." It made me smile :) And as stressful as my life is, I am so grateful to have Matt right there next to me.



We had dinner with Matt's mom that evening down in Lehi at Texas Rd House. So yummy! Afterwords Matthew and I thought we would attempt at going to a movie but I was so exhausted so we went back to Matt's place and went straight to bed. I was OUT! We woke up a little later than we hoped on Sunday morning but it was fine. We went down to Orem for breakfast at Matt's sisters place. There were so many people! But honestly, with Michelle's homemade syrup, I can see why there were so many people. During the Sunday morning session one of Michelle's friends spoke up and said she had some extra tickets for the afternoon session. I looked over at Matt and I could tell he was thinking the same thing I was. Why not? We already had our Sunday dress and we were headed back to Logan anyways so We got two more tickets to anther session of conference.

We got to the Sunday afternoon session in a lot more timely manner than we did the day before. Just as we were about to go in I ran into a good friend of mine from High School. Sean Foster. I hadn't seen Sean since graduation and even tho we only had time for a hello that was yelled across several people, seeing Sean made my day. :) I absolutely love seeing friends from back home. Anyway, the first hour of conference was a bit of a struggle for Matt. It was so cute watching Matt's efforts to stay awake. I kept poking him awake but the lights and what not were not helping his efforts. I was ready to just let him sleep when he leaned forward and started snoring. It was faint and the only reason why I could hear him was because I was right next to him. It was cute but I couldn't allow him to snore through conference. I woke him up and you wouldn't believe what happened next. The guy on the other side of Matt turned to him and offered Matt a half a package of smarties. Ha! The guy must have heard Matt snoring and felt bad for him. The smarties worked. Matt didn't sleep for the whole second hour =D Again, the talks were great. I even shed a few tears and I don't exactly know why. None of the talks jerked me as much as Elder Cooks the day before and there were no tears then. I think it was more so just being there at Conference. Seeing the Prophet. When President Monson looked out towards everyone and said "I love you" something inside me just pulled. That moment stretched on. He meant it. Everyone in the room could feel the pull of his Love. Thomas S. Monson is truly a Prophet of God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment